Sunday, April 22, 2012

Silver Spring 200k Preliminary Results and Report

Preliminary results for the Silver Spring 200k have been posted at:
http://users.rcn.com/trosenbauer/PA200k_Results120421.pdf
... please let me know of any corrections or other issues.  Results will be submitted to RUSA shortly, and become final, pending RUSA/ACP approval.

I've been looking forward to this event ever since I started working with organizer Andrew Mead on this new route (which he proposed late last year). I must say, the route exceeded my expectations, and is truly a great addition to the Eastern PA series.

-Tom Rosenbauer, RBA

 ****** Andrew's ride report ******
The inagural running of the Silver Spring 200 was a grand success with 27 riders participating. All 22 riders who clipped in for Saturday's running finished within the time limit.  Four of the five volunteer pre-riders finished the week before for a 96% overall event completion rate.  All riders managed to stay dry during the event in spite of a weather forecast that quite obviously befuddled meterologists all week.  The afternoon thunderstorms held off until shortly after the last riders were comfortably chowing down at Cafe Metzler.

The new brevet route proved to offer a riding challenge consistent with other PA 200ks, at least based on ride time.  As predicted, the second leg with its continuous string of ascents and descents between the Susquehanna and the bluffs above challenged riders.  A well-placed controle with a deli near the end of this nightmarish stretch recharged riders and allowed them to enjoy the second half of the route.  There were only a few instances of bonus miles reported toward the finish, so the efforts of two separate pre-rides must have been worthwhile.  Oddly, riders sailed through the areas of the cue that most concerned me before the event and managd to find extra mileage in places I never imagined.  Look for a few tweaks in the route next time.

Riders with an interest in the new RUSA American Explorer award bagged two states with our venture south into Maryland.

Congratulations to first finisher Don Jagel who sped around the course in 8:58, nearly an hour ahead of the next finishers.  Special recognition must be offered to Paul Scearce who completed this decidely fixie UN-friendly route on his fixed-gear bike well within the time limit.  Of note, Scott Franzen and Ralph Miller completed their first brevet. The tandem teams of Ron & Barb Anderson and Chuck Wood & Crista Borras (from neighboring DC Randonneurs) also managed strong finishes.

Thanks to volunteer preriders, Bill Blank, George Metzler, Bill Slabonik, and Keith Spangler.  Keith also manned the  Mt Joy controle. Additional thanks to George Metzler and the Cafe Metzler.  His suggestion to move the finish to his house as we first started planning this event proved to be quite popular as riders could sit and relax after finishing without worrying about a finish controle closing time.  

Don Jagel writes: "...Thank you for putting together the Silver Spring 200K.  The roads and scenery provided a good sampling of everything the area has to offer.  A nice rolling start followed by a fresh cinnamon scone, then a mix of winding ups and downs, and finishing up by weaving through the convoluted maze roads that led to the wonderful, and too short, downhill of George's driveway.


At the bottom Douts Hill Road my chain started jumping gears.  Thinking that the derailleur cable I had replaced two days before had stretch, and settled into place, I twisted the barrel adjuster on my derailleur, and continued on up the hill.  The jumping of the chain was worse, so I thought that I had maybe twisted it the wrong way, so I gave it another twist or two.  By the time I got to the top of the hill it was even worse, so it was time to give it a good inspection.  It seems that one of the side plates on my chain had snapped and was sticking off the side of the chain.  How it did not completely jamb into my drive train and self destruct I don't know.  After a quick fix, I was on my way again.    


Many thanks to you, Keith, and George for making it come off without a hitch.  The spread that George laid out at the finish was  really the cherry on top of a wonderful day.  The weather was pretty darn nice too ..."

Larry Brenize writes: "...Ever have one of those rando riding days when you say to yourself this could be a long day. That is how my day started yesterday. I seemed to be in between groups and after the initial break away I rode by myself for most of the 30 some miles until the 2nd control @ Capello Confections Bakery.  I was somewhat cooked already as I dressed way too warm. But thankfully, Dan Aaron showed me how to roll my jacket and tie it around my waist. It's here that I started riding with Dan and Susan Rodetis, and we ended up on the rest of the ride together ... I personally have to thank both of them for helping me finish the ride. Dan had a GPS so all I had to do was concentrate on my riding and not worry too much on the cue sheet. We finished at 6:45 gassed and cooked, and I'm guessing,  like a lot of other riders were too.

To organizer Andrew(aka Gunther): great ride thanks for all your hard work. Unless you have set up a ride which I haven't and guessing alot others yesterday riding haven't you have no clue on how much work it takes. The only bone I have to pick with you is you must have missed the cattle crossing around 30-40 miles into the ride which caused a massive amount of road apples poop which just happened to get on my race bike. LOL Again great job thanks.

To George Metzler: thanks for the great food after the ride.
  
Larry's Ride STATS
Total time 11 hrs. 45 minutes
avereage speed 12.92 mph
max speed 45.51 not faster than my Guardian Angel thank goodness
trip climb 9334 ft.
Way too much fun riding with some old rando buddies and some new ones ..."

Doug Haluza writes: "...This brevet was a wonderful change of scenery. Thanks to course architect Andrew Mead for introducing us to the Conowingo Reservior area--a truly wicked, godforsaken place for a cyclist. Those of you who fought the headwind to the finish will be happy to know that bringing up the rear brought us a 25mph tail wind from the outflow ahead of the rain, which kept us from getting wet...."

Susan Rodetis writes: "...I am grateful for, plus remain highly impressed with the amount and quality of cycling prep work and hospitality goes into your events...I have planned, organized, and run events[with the NYC cycling club], and I know what it takes to get all the pieces together...Just wish I could rein in the weather like y'all managed to!    ..."

-Andrew Mead, Organizer

No comments:

Post a Comment