Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Brevet Week 200k & 300k Ride Report

Preliminary results for the May 14 Brevet Week 200k have been posted at:
... and for the May 15 300k at:
... please let me know of any corrections or other issues. Results will be sent to RUSA in a couple of days, and then become final, pending ACP approval.

Despite a dismal weather forecast for the weekend that promised plenty of "wet", participants managed to mostly dodge the many rain showers and stay dry.  A big exception however, was Sunday night: some very impressive thunderstorms rolled in as the riders were headed back across the Delaware River near Reigelsville.

12 of the 14 200k participants completed the course in good time.  Of note, Guy Harris completed the course on a fixed-gear (with audacious plans to ride the entire Brevet Week of events on a fixed-gear!).  Jonathan Clamp, a regular fixed-gear rider as well, brought along some gears this time, and managed to get in as the first finisher just under 9 hours. 

Also of note, our DC area friends Crista and Chuck completed yet another Eastern PA event.  I am way overdue to return the favor, and look forward to joining Crista and Chuck real soon on one of their weekend centuries they've been leading for as long as I can remember.  Crista's weekend rides are renowned for their scenic beauty and I highly recommend you check it out if you're headed to the DC area:
Crista writes: "...Just wanted to thank you again for the great ride on Saturday.  It was exquisite!  Chuck took a few photos, and here's the link:"

Only 3 of the 7 registered riders for the 300k made it to the starting line -- the truly dismal weather forecast perhaps had something to do with that, along with the steady rain in the early morning hours on Sunday.  However, the 3 intrepid starters did have a reasonably fair day for cycling.  New Eastern PA participant, David Eisenberg, made it as far as Water Gap, just under the cut-off where volunteer Len Zawodniak was on hand.  David decided that he had little chance of finishing within the time limit, and opted instead to the offer of a ride back to hostel start.  In light of the storms that later raged all through Sunday night, that proved to be a prudent descision.  Robin Landis and Chris Nadovich distinguished themselves as finishers for the 200k on Saturday, as well as the Sunday 300k.  

Chris writes: "...I'd like to repeat my heartfelt thanks to you and your volunteers for a most memorable 300K brevet. With the tiny turnout of riders, and so many voluneers, I felt like I had a personal support crew! If it's any compensation for sacrificing a Sunday to keep tabs on my ride, maybe you can take some satisfaction from the knowledge that your brevet helped to toughen my soul. If riding 20 miles in the dark, on shoulderless, narrow, windy, hilly, bumpy, chipsealed roads, in the rain, with thunder and lightning, didn't rattle me, I'm not sure what ever could? And yet it was sunny and mild up to Dingman's Ferry and the whole way down Old Mine Road, and through the Gap, with the Del looking as beautiful as ever. I saw an eagle. When I reached the Hostel, the full moon was out. Quite a ride. Thanks!..."

Houston Joost writes: "...Tom, another great ride. Your rides are always painfully pleasurable!..."  John Capriotti writes: "...Tom, thanks again for a fantastic, fun ride and thanks to all the riders who helped made it enjoyable! What a great way start to the week. ..."  You can read John's complete ride report at his blog: 
http://videlos.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/pa-randonneurs-brevet-week-200k/#more-341

If you have any other comments or pictures to share, you can forward them to me or post them on the message board.

Special thanks to volunteer Christiane Torres, for staffing the 200k finish controle.  And special thanks to 300k volunteers:  Len Zawodniak for manning the Water Gap controle, and returning David back to the start, and Guy Harris, for sweeping the course at Bloomsbury.  Thanks also to Christine Newman, for standing by to help with any unforeseen eventualities.

Tom Rosenbauer 
Eastern PA RBA

1 comment:

  1. Tom,

    Thanks for putting on a wonderful event. I can't wait to try another one of your brevets. Hopefully, I won't have to wait too long and the next one will have a better result for me than this one. Fortunately, the weather didn't turn really bad while I was on the road. Although, I will say that flying down Blue Mountain on wet roads in light fog was not for the faint of heart.

    I am a little suprised that I have no regrets regarding pulling out. It probably helps that hindsight agrees with my decision. I was tighter on time than I wanted to be at the Water Gap. I was ready to race the clock or the weather, but the thought of racing both made up my mind.

    I also want to give a huge THANK YOU to Len Zawodniak for giving me a lift back to the hostel. Len, if you ever need anything let me know. I owe you one.

    Thanks,

    David Eisenberg

    ReplyDelete