Monday, August 10, 2015

August Hawk's Nest 200k Ride Report


Preliminary results have been posted at:
http://parando.org/PA200k_Results150808.pdf
Results will be submitted in a couple of days to RUSA, and then become final pending ACP certification.

With low humidity and wind, mild temperatures, and some partial cloud cover, weather conditions for an August brevet were just about ideal. All 15 riders who made it to the start finished in good time for another 100% completion -- well done to all! Of note, newcomers Eric F. and Michael S. completed their first PA brevet -- congratulations, and hope to see you both again soon.

Although perhaps it is a question that might have been better left unanswered, we now know the terminal velocity of a velomobile on the decent from Eldred: 62 MPH.  Len Z writes: " ...  I was so concerned about getting my 60 pound velo up to the first controle on time, but actually made it there 20 minutes sooner than last time! After that, the ride was essentially in the bag. As opposed to last time, this ride was a ride of real extremes. extraordinarily slow up the steeper hills , and on steep uphill parts of mine road ,I felt my rear wheel start to slip if didn't pedal smoothly. The downhills were literally and figuratively a rush! I had hit 52 mph during the first segment. The 62 coming down from Glen Spey was an all time record for me. I felt fine on that run, the velo felt very stable, but considering the way the velo handled with a blowout at 30 mph later in the ride, I will be more circumspect about the very high speeds until I upgrade my rear tire. It seems my "guardian Angel" really is a "speed Demon"..."

Grace P. writes: "... an absolutely perfect ride!  Well, never mind that nasty piece of Old Mine Rd. .  ...."

Jim B writes "...Great day and a great route! I have wanted to do this one for years and it somehow has never fit into my schedule. If the NPS could fill it all the potholes on the climb it would be perfect. Thanks again for putting on this ride. ..."


After two visits to Hawk's Nest, the summer series wraps up with the Hawk Mountain 200k on September 12th.  Event details have been posted at:
http://parando.org/R12ClubSep2.html

-Tom Rosenbauer
Eastern  PA RBA

No comments:

Post a Comment