Thursday, January 21, 2010

Another PA Randonneur Earns Their R-12

I wanted to be the first to congratulate Eric Keller on earning his (1st) R-12 award with the completion of the Hawks Nest Permanent on Saturday. Eric rode his first brevet last February and successfully completed the PA SR series in May. Tom may be able to confirm this but I believe Eric is the first PA Randonneur to complete the R-12 in their first twelve months of randonneuring.

... another "success story" to come out of the PA R-12 series and I want to thank Tom for all of his efforts in running the PA R-12 series which allowed many of us to earn our R-12 awards with "local" rides.

I had the pleasure of riding Saturday's Permanent with Eric and he mentioned that along with these milestones, another goal is to ride a randonnee.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Eric, for an extremely successful first year of randonneuring. Eric may indeed be the first one to achieve the feat of putting a string of R-12 events together right from the first brevet. The only other rider that comes to mind is Juan Salazar, who had an R-12 streak of 8 months going after his first event in November of 2008 -- I'm not sure if he kept it going in another region or not.

    At any rate, I don't think there are very many who can claim this unusual accomplisment.

    -Tom Rosenbauer
    Eastern PA RBA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Eric!!

    I'm nowhere close to such an accomplishment. I've yet to ride 12 brevets in the 3 years I've been doing this.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to everyone that helped me out over the last year. Especially Tom, who not only runs an excellent series of rides, but also rescued me last February. I'd also like to thank Andrew, Richard Carpenter and Bill Olsen for organizing rides. And everyone that rides the Easter Pennsylvania series has been a lot of fun to ride with and very helpful along the way. Jud Hand helped me out and made a couple rides a lot more pleasant.

    I'd also like to apologize to the people I've gotten lost over the last year, Attilla was the first, John Fessenden on the 600k (that one hurt), and countless others :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to add that after talking to one of the Ohio riders, it impressed me how Tom's series makes life a lot easier for all of us. This rider used to travel from Ohio to the DC series so he could finish an R-12. That's a lot more travel than I have had to do. In many areas of the country, riders are left to riding a lot of permanents or an R-12 is not possible.

    ReplyDelete